Aug 6, 2014

Turtle PhD

gradturtle_2

So one of my best friends graduated this past weekend with her PhD and unfortunately I wasn't able to make it down to Georgia to see her walk  in the ceremony. As a little graduation present I crocheted her this turtle (one of her favorite animals) complete with his very own hood, grad cap, and doctorate!

gradturtle_3

I had a lot of fun making this little guy and I always love putting as much detail as I can into any amigurumi. I have to admit though that I was a little in over my head when it came to the PhD hood. The hood was much more complicated than I thought and I'm not the greatest at sewing patterns. There weren't too many example patterns I could find online, but after creating several paper and muslin hoods I think I managed to get close to the real thing!

gradturtle_5

The lining of the hood is red with a black chevron since those are her school colors. Both the cap and the hood were hand stitched out of wool felt, but in hindsight I should have chosen a thinner, lighter fabric for the hood. The felt was pretty stiff after being sewn and doesn't hang as well as I would have liked, things to keep in mind for next time!

gradturtle_6

gradturtle_1

In other news, my kits are currently being sold over at Zulily.com in a three day event from August 6-9th. Normally sold at $28, the kits are on sale for $19.99 and include everything you need to complete the project, eyes, needle, thread, the works! Each kit also comes with two step by step instruction booklets, one for the actual project and another to teach all the crochet basics. So even if you don't know how to crochet, you can learn with the kit. There are ten designs available, ranging from a cute bunny key chain to a golden dog and orange. The sale is for three days only so head over to Zulily.com and check out the Craft a Critter event!

bunny_12

No comments :

Post a Comment