Dec 10, 2013

Tiramisu

tiramisu 3

Aside from ice cream. tiramisu has to be one of my favorite desserts. It's light and creamy and even after a big meal, I can never refuse a piece! If I see it on a menu I have to order it and every place has their own version. My favorite tiramisu actually comes from a local health food store in my area. It's rich, but still airy and I've been trying to recreate it at home.

After a few tries, I think I've gotten the recipe down! Now I prefer my tiramisu to have a bit of a boozy punch to it, but you can always leave it out if it's not your thing. I highly recommend it though! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

tiramisu 2

Tiramisu
Servings: 8
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 4 hours

Ingredients

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup white sugar + 1 tbsp, divided
1/2 cup marsala wine
8 oz mascarpone cheese
1-1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla
7 oz Italian ladyfingers, about 24 cookies
3/4 cup cold espresso
1/4 cup coffee flavored liquor (optional)
cocoa powder for dusting

Directions

In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar until pale yellow. Whisk in the marsala wine. In a saucepan, bring a few inches of water to a simmer and then place the bowl over the water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Cook the egg yolk mixture until thick, about the consistency of pudding. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then mix in the mascarpone until smooth. Combine the heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture and set aside.

To assemble, combine the espresso and coffee flavored liquor, if using. Dip the ladyfingers into the espresso mixture and arrange in the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish. You want the ladyfingers wet, but not soaking with the espresso. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Repeat the process for one more layer of ladyfingers and marscapone cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Dust with cocoa powder before serving.

2 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. It's called Mother Earth's Storehouse. They also have a really good almond cream cake!

      Delete