Jul 25, 2011

I miss Savannah, Georgia so I made pulled pork

pulled_pork8

I went to Savannah for school and one of the best places to eat was Angel's BBQ. This little restaurant was located in an alleyway right next to my dorm and every time I went I would have a ball with all the sauces that they make themselves. Coming back to New York, I tried to find bbq that would hold up, but nothing came close, so I finally decided to try and make my own. While I still miss Angel's BBQ, I'm pretty happy with how my pulled pork came out, so give it a try! 




pulled_pork3

pulled_pork5

This pulled pork is made in a slow cooker, so I just threw all my ingredients for the marinade in my crockpot and added a healthy dose of whiskey. Everything is better with whiskey. 

pulled_pork7

Marinated overnight, then I cooked it on high for six hours. After it was done, I removed and shredded the meat and made a sauce from the leftover juices, where I promptly forgot to take photos.  Oh well, exercising the imagination is good for you! This pulled pork works well for parties since you can make it the day before and just reheat and serve. I also like this recipe because it makes a lot at once and I can eat it throughout the week when I'm too lazy to make anything. So happy cooking!

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Servings: About 8 sandwiches

Ingredients

3-4 lb pork butt, bone in
1 1/2 onions, thinly sliced
8 hamburger buns

Marinade

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup whiskey
1/2 cup vinegar
1/8 cup brown sugar
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
few dashes of tabasco
few dashes of worcestershire 

Sauce

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard
tabasco sauce if desired

Directions

Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl big enough to fit the pork butt. I usually just do this in my actual crockpot so I have one less bowl to wash. Trim as much fat as you can from the pork butt and sprinkle the outside with about 1 tablespoon of salt. Place in the marinade, making sure to spread it over the pork butt and refrigerate over night. About an hour before you are ready to cook the pork, remove it from fridge and let it sit at room temperature. Place the sliced onions under and on top of the pork and cook on high for six hours. After it's done cooking, carefully remove the pork butt to a separate plate and cover with tinfoil. Discard the bone and watch out for any pieces that may have crumbled off so they don't end up in your pork or the sauce! 

For the sauce, take the juices leftover in the pot and transfer to a large saucepan. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring often so it doesn't burn. If you like your sauce spicy, you can add in some tabasco to taste. When you are done with the sauce, remove from heat and set aside while you shred the meat with a couple of forks. Spoon about 1 cup of the sauce back into the pork and pour the rest into a bowl. Serve on toasted hamburger buns with extra sauce on the side. This pork actually tastes better the day after, so it's great for making in advance for parties. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment