May 23, 2011

Thing #2 that I shall own one day

final_vacuum3

So a while back I decided to that in practicing my prop modeling skills, the theme would be things that I wish to own one day. The first item was an olive green corduroy couch. The second, a Dyson vacuum cleaner! Specifically the DC24 Multi floor model. Yes, I'm a dork, but I know I'm not the only one who likes to think about what their future home will look like! I just take it one step further and imagine my future appliances too.




vacuum_1

3D printing is all the rage right now and I decided that I would try it out for this vacuum. I started out by modeling the piece in Rhino and did a test print. For the final version, I went to Shapeways.com, this great site where you can upload your own designs and print in a variety of materials. They also have an online community where you can get help and feedback on your work.

3d_print

I printed the vacuum in white nylon and I separated out the pieces so that I could paint them properly.

final_vacuum1

final_vacuum2

final_vacuum4

After a bit of sanding and painting, I glued the pieces together and boom! I have a mini vacuum! I am happy with how it came out and it was a nice first project to 3D print, using basic modeling techniques in Rhino. Of course the vacuum doesn't work, but imagine if it did; the only vacuum in the world that you have to empty after two breadcrumbs!

No comments :

Post a Comment